Upgrade SQL Server 2016 to Service Pack 1 faced with Exit code (Decimal): -2068380094

 

 

1

I wanted to upgrade the SQL Server 2016 installed on my laptop to service pack 1 last night. But the setup failed with this error:

  Final result:                  The patch installer has failed to update the shared features. To determine the reason for failure, review the log files.

Exit code (Decimal):           -2068380094

What I noticed in the process was that the setup process tried to stop the MSSQLSERVER service, but after about one minute of trying without any success, the setup process finished with the above error code.

2

So, I start analyzing the detail log file. Then, I found the following error code:

(01) 2017-01-20 19:56:47 Slp: Error: Failed to run patch request for instance: MSSQLSERVER (exit code: -2068709375)

There was nothing more than that to identify what was happened in the upgrade process. So, I start checking the sql server configuration manager and faced with two interesting things:

  1. I could not manually stop the MSSQLSERVER service
  2. Polybase Services stuck in Change Pending state

3

So, I had an idea for more investigations! Finally, I found the Greg Low’s following post

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/greg_low/archive/2016/07/06/sql-server-2016-polybase-services-stuck-in-change-pending-state.aspx

He was told that “enabling TCP and restarting made all good”

I check it and he was completely right!

5

I enabled the TCP and restarted and tried setup again with a success!

8

 

Advertisements

Event ID 129 Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued on Database Server

Two months ago, one of my clients called me that his DB Server is not responsive.

Their Server is a HP DL580 with this specs:

  1. CPU: 4 x 12 cores
  2. Memory: 256 GB
  3. Storage:  2 x Raid 10 (8 x 600 GB SAS 15K)
  4. OS: Windows Server 2012 r2
  5. DBMS: SQL Server 2014 sp2

The situation was strange:

  1. We had ping
  2. IIS , SSMS and ODBC Data Sources could not connect to the SQL Server
  3. RDP was not responsive

We decided to call the Data Center and ask them to restart the server by powering it off. After restarting server, I start investigating what, why and when the issue occurred by using Event Viewer ans SSMS log file viewer. I found that we had an event id 129 exactly before stopping the SQL Server services.

So, I start identifying that what it is and what we can do to resolve it.

I found this MSDN blog post:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2013/06/21/event-id-129-storachi-reset-to-device-deviceraidport0-was-issued/

I applied its solution, but we had the same problem after a one week.

Then, I found this one:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ntdebugging/2011/05/06/understanding-storage-timeouts-and-event-129-errors/

This one helped me so much to learn what usually happen in Windows I/O layered structure. So, I found that the problem was from the raid controller. We asked Hardware Unit to replace it with new one. We didn’t have any issue after changing it.

based on this article: If you are seeing Event ID 129 errors in your event logs, then you should start investigating the storage and fiber network.